Sunday, July 17, 2011

Y is for Yesterday

Last week, our mom was invited to visit and tour St. Jude Children's Hospital in Nashville, TN. Her and her friends traveled 14 long hours before finally reaching their destination (hopefully she will be posting more about this adventure later). Anyway, they sent her home with a book that was created by the children at the hospital. The book is called "C is for Cure." After reading the book, which was very emotional, yet uplifting, I decided to share one poem by Vivian, a 14 year old with osteosarcoma. 

Y is for Yesterday
Yesterday I was like everYone else.
Yesterday I had hair, was a cheerleader,
and I could run with the wind blowing in 
mY hair and nothing could hold me back.
YesterdaY I had a tibia in my leg instead
of a titanium prosthetic.

TodaY I am cancer free, in remission
and have a whole care team at St. Jude
who fought to make it that waY. Today
I have learned so much from my experiences
here and am so much more thankful for my 
life. It may sound crazy to you but this Year
has probably been the best Year in my life.
I consider this a minor setback for me,
compared to all the great things that I'll 
do in my life.

Tomorrow I will give hope to other kids
with catastrophic illnesses. We can dwell
on the bad things that happened to us
YESTERDAY or we can look to the future
for the great things that we can achieve 
including finding a cure for cancer!
 -Shawna :)

No comments:

Post a Comment